Are you concerned about the chilly air coming in through your windows? Plantation shutters are a good way to keep your home comfy. They offer both energy efficiency and insulation that can help keep your home warmer.
In addition, they're a stunning, timeless window treatment! Nowadays, plantation shutters are available in all shapes, sizes and colors so it's easy to find something that fits your style. Let's talk more about how plantation shutters can make winter less chilly.
How Plantation Shutters Keep Your Home Warm
Having the right window treatment can make a big difference in your comfort and energy bills.
Out of all the areas in your home, your windows are responsible for losing the most warmth during the winter. Single-pane windows with an aluminum frame leak the most heat. While double-pane windows with a wood or vinyl frame are an improvement, they can still make your home feel cold.
Here’s how plantation shutters can help stop heat loss during cold weather.
- They’re built from dense materials with a high R-value. This measurement determines how well insulation stops heat from leaving or entering your home. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, wood shutters have an R-value of 3-4. That’s more than two times higher than blinds and nearly two times better than shades. Polymer shutters rank at 6 or better, making them one of the most energy-efficient window treatments. Because they’re so energy efficient, you may find your home feels more comfortable at a cooler temperature.
- They fit securely against your windows, making an additional barrier. The way plantation shutters fit windows plays into their high R-value. The highest quality ones are custom made for your home to provide top energy efficiency and comfort. Other window coverings, like curtains, blinds and shades, don’t provide as secure of a fit.
- They accommodate unique windows. Some window styles, like arches, circles and bay, are more difficult to cover. As a result, their energy efficiency can be affected. But this isn’t the case with custom shutters, as they can be made to fit nearly any window.
Other Ways to Make Your Home More Energy Efficient in Winter
Having the right window treatment makes a big difference in keeping your home cozy and heating bills low. Here are a few other ways you can save energy this winter:
- Take full advantage of natural warmth. Make the most of the sun’s heat by keeping south-facing window treatments open during daytime and closed at nighttime.
- Set your thermostat at the right temperature. The Department of Energy recommends 68 degrees during daytime. When you’re away or asleep, you can set your thermostat between 64-65 degrees. You can get rid of some of the guesswork and extra work by installing a smart thermostat. This device finds out your temperature preferences and schedule, and then makes energy-efficient programming to match.
- Set ceiling fans to reverse. Warm air accumulates near the ceiling but running your ceiling fan in reverse can redistribute that warmth.
- Replace your air filter regularly. A dirty air filter can cause your HVAC system to work harder and consume more energy. Flat filters should be changed monthly, while pleated filters can last for up to three months. A good guideline is to change yours whenever you can’t see light through it.
- Schedule a home energy audit. Many utility companies offer this service for free and will give you ideas on how you can boost your home’s energy efficiency. Some of these ideas may include installing LED bulbs, sealing leaks and checking insulation.
- Add more attic insulation. Most homes don’t have enough attic insulation, which helps control indoor temperatures and prevent heat loss. Southern climates should have 13”–14”, while northern climates should have 16”–18”.
Keep Your Home Comfy with Shutters from Louver Shop of Louisiana
Plantation shutters aren’t just a practical choice for cold weather. They can also keep you more comfortable during the summer and decrease your air conditioning costs. At Louver Shop of Louisiana, we’ve been specializing in making homes like yours more beautiful and energy efficient since [[year]]. To find out more about how plantation shutters can keep you comfortable, call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule a free, in-home consultation.